Sunday, September 9, 2012

Big Soft Ginger Cookies


Big Soft Ginger Cookies

Much like my Snickerdoodles from last time. I usually make gingersnaps for Christmas. However, I found this recipe in one of my baking books, soft ginger cookies. I thought the idea of it was interesting. I have a few friends who like the taste of gingersnaps but don't particularly enjoy the crunchiness of the cookies. So these are perfect for them! And these cookies can be for Christmas or anytime really. Who says there's only a certain time of the year to eat these delicious cookies? So grab a couple of bowls and a mixer (if you have one) and let's get started!!

Here's what you'll need!!

3/4 cup of butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup molasses
2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour (I added about an extra 1/4 cup)
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
Additional sugar

OK! So preheat your oven to 350 and grab a bowl...or mixer!



First thing you're going to do is cream the butter and sugar together until it's light and fluffy like so. Remember, the butter needs to be softened first so take it out of the fridge about 30-45 minutes before you start the cookies.







Next you're going to add in the molasses and the egg. Beat it until everything is smooth and mixed together nicely.










It should look like this when the molasses and egg are mixed in with the butter and sugar. So this was around the time my dog started going nuts. Actually, she goes nuts anytime I pull the eggs out of the fridge. When she's been good I give her an egg. Apparently a raw egg every once in a while is good for a dog's coat. And it keeps her distracted for all of 20 seconds.


In a separate bowl combine the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, gloves, and salt. I totally forgot about the salt when I made them...it wasn't until I almost put the first batch in the oven when I realized I'd forgotten it. Oops, good thing I read that part of the recipe when I did.

Now slowly mix in the dry ingredients with the molasses mixture. Don't just throw it in all at once unless you want to clean up the big flour cloud in your kitchen. (As I've said before.)




There we go, just mixing in the dry ingredients. Remember not to over mix, otherwise your cookies won't be soft. They'll be tough, and that would defeat the purpose of the soft ginger cookies.





The dough shouldn't stick to the sides of the bowl too much. That's why I add the extra flour. Kind of looks like chocolate ice cream in this picture, doesn't it?









Alrighty, so now that the dough is ready you can start forming it into 1-1/2 inch balls. Remember these are big cookies so that's why they're being rolled into 1-1/2 inch balls instead of the more common 1 inch. Roll the cookie balls in the additional sugar and place on a baking sheet about 2 inches apart so they don't spread and connect.


Toss them in the oven for about 10 minutes. Remember oven temperatures and cooking times can vary so keep a close eye on the first batch so they don't burn. I turn the pan around about halfway through the cooking process. The cookies are done when they're puffy and lightly browned. It's a little difficult to tell when they're browned because the cookies themselves are brown...so just use your best judgement and trust yourself.

When they're done remove the cookies from the baking sheet to wire racks to cool completely. Store in an air tight container for probably up to a week, if they last that long. These taste so good when they're a little warm, my roommates liked them a lot...so did my dog when I dropped one. Oops :)


Hope you enjoy these as much as I did. They're really easy to make too, which is always a bonus!!
Always a pleasure!
'Til Next Time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment