Monday, August 27, 2012

Chewy Delicious Snickerdoodles


Snickerdoodles!!

So on Saturday, I made some cookies because the dance studio I dance at (dancing at a dance studio crazy right?) was having a showcase and I wanted to help out by making some treats for everyone to go along with all the other food we had! I was a little pressed for time and I didn't want to go overboard with the cookies so I thought I would keep it simple and make some cookies. Everyone loves cookies right? Well, maybe not everyone but I'm a firm believer in the fact that if you don't like cookies, you're wrong. Just kidding, but seriously, cookies are delicious.

As I was making these cookies my step-brother and our roommate kept wandering into the kitchen sniffing the air and asking me what I was doing. I should have told them they had to come to my showcase if they wanted any cookies. The more people who came to the studio the better right? Well, too bad I didn't do that. It's ok because the cookies turned out great and the showcase at the dance studio went the same way! Speaking of dance, holy wow I'm sore from yesterday. We did a few numbers and then we hung around afterwards just dancing with the DJ who is part of a break dance crew goofing around and trying different moves. Yep...this is why I'm unable to move much, even today. Well that and I went out drinking with my best friend afterwards, but that's another story.  :-)

Anywho...these cookies are pretty simple to make and taste delicious! Here's what you'll need...

1/2 cup butter, softened (take it out about 30-45 minutes before you start)
1 cup of sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour (plus add an extra ~1/4 cup)
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons sugar

I usually use my kitchen-aid stand mixer when I'm doing cookies because it's so much easier to mix the batter/dough well. If you don't have one no big deal, just as long as the butter is softened enough you can do it by hand. Or you can use a hand mixer.



Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grab a bowl. In a large bowl or in the bowl of the stand mixer cream the butter and 1 cup of sugar together until it's light and fluffy, like so...


Oooooo nice and fluffy butter and sugar! Alright next up the egg and the vanilla need to be mixed in.





Mix it until it's well blended. Then grab a medium bowl and combine the flour, baking soda, and cream of tartar. You're going to slowly add the dry mixture into the creamed mixture. Don't just add it all at once and turn on the mixer...unless you want to clean up a cloud of flour dust. Which, trust me it's not as fun as it sounds. Not. At. All.






So by now your dough should be looking pretty good and consistent. No huge lumps and stuff in it, but like everything else in baking do not over mix the dough, it'll make your cookies tough instead of delicious and chewy! Now get that 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon and 2 tablespoons of sugar and mix them together in a small bowl.



Alright so if your dough looks like this you're good to go! Start getting them ready to bake by shaping them into 1-inch balls and roll them in the cinnamon sugar. I like to put the dough ball in the bowl and just shake it around so my fingers get the least amount of sugar on them possible. It gets in my nails and it bugs me and I wash my hands like 500 times.






Place them about 2 inches apart on the baking sheet. Make sure it's a cookie sheet that has at least 2 edges with no sides. I always bake my first batch with only 9 cookies on it. That way if I screw up the baking time or if I need to add more flour because the cookies spread too much, at least I didn't mess up a whole dozen cookies. I don't know, it makes sense to me. Haha :)


Bake them for about 10 minutes (I put them in for 7 minutes then switch the pan around and bake them for another 3). Times will vary by oven so just watched the first batch carefully. They're done when they start to brown just a bit on top and when the bottoms are nicely browned, not burnt.


Now, my cookies did this weird thing where they'd be all puffed up then after they cooled for a couple minutes they'd cave and dip in the middle. I think it added character to the cookies, didn't affect the taste at all they were still deliciously chewy! Let them sit on the pan for a couple minutes (1-2) then move them to a wire rack to cool completely. Or you can serve them warm, trust me AMAZING. So I usually make these cookies for my sister at Christmas, but they're really good for anytime of year!




Questions? Comments? Concerns? Suggestions? Feel free to ask or let me know!

Hope you enjoy these as much as my dance studio did!


'Til Next Time!!


No comments:

Post a Comment