Sunday, January 13, 2013

Sirloin Beef Stroganoff


Sirloin Beef Stroganoff

I love, love, love beef stroganoff. So when I had the idea to create my own I was more than excited. Stroganoffs are fairly straight forward. Take some protein (beef, pork, chicken usually), add some liquid (usually a broth of some sort), throw in some veggies if you want, some spices, an ingredient to thicken the broth up. Let it simmer and then serve over noodles...or rice.

Seems simple right? Well, it is. Or at least it was for me. I've made Beef Stroganoff before from a different recipe and it was good, but I wanted to do something a little different. So after looking up a couple different recipes to see what other types of ingredients I could include I came up with this one! 


So here's what you need, equipment wise: a stockpot to make the noodles and either a sauté pan or a chef's pan. They're very similar. The one that I used for this recipe has straight edges not sloped. I wouldn't recommend making this one in a skillet, it needs to be a little deeper since you end up with everything in the pan, minus the noodles.

Anywho...let's get started with the ingredients


About 1 lb to 1-1/2 lbs top sirloin cut into 1 inch pieces
2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
1-2 Tablespoons olive oil
1-2 Tablespoons butter
1 green pepper, chopped
3 Tablespoons dried minced onion
1 can (14 oz) beef broth
1/2 cup sour cream
2 Tablespoons tomato paste
2 garlic cloves, minced or crushed
1/2 teaspoon paprika
Dash of salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon parsley flakes
1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Cooked Pasta of your choice





Alight, so what I did first was cut up my sirloin. If you don't want to use sirloin you can use pretty much any other beef you want. I just chose sirloin because I enjoy the taste of it.

Once that's all cut up, set it aside for a couple minutes.




Next, I chopped up my green pepper. This one actually chopped up easily. Sometimes I have a bit of a hard time getting the seeds out. This one worked with me.

Side note: If you've noticed I have specific cutting boards for different types of food. Red-Meat, Orange-Veggies, Green-Fruit, Yellow-Poultry.




I was doing my best to be organized. I was cooking dinner for my friend Taylor and I didn't want to feel like a chicken with my head cut off. So I managed to get everything together before I actually started cooking. So I got my beef broth, butter, garlic, spices, sour cream and tomato paste all together before I even started cooking the beef. And what do you know, it worked. I should really do that every time, shouldn't I?



So once you have everything prepped and ready, go ahead and put the 2 tablespoons of flour and the strips of sirloin into a Ziploc bag and shake to coat the meat with flour.



Also, around now is when you're going to want to start to boil the water for your noodles.






In a large sauté pan or chef's pan, whatever you have decided to use. You're going to melt the butter over a medium heat, add in the olive oil, and the crushed/minced garlic. Add the sirloin to the pan and brown the beef.








Once the beef is browned add in the chopped green pepper and dried minced onion. Cook that for probably 2 minutes.





Now you're going to gradually stir in the beef broth and bring it to a boil.


Once the broth starts to boil, let it cook for about a minute then reduce the heat to low and let it simmer as you get the next step ready.







In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, tomato paste, and the spices. Stir it so it's mixed together nicely.



You're going to stir that into the beef mixture. But DO NOT BOIL, keep this at a low temperature.




Add in the Worcestershire sauce and a bit of extra flour to help thicken the Stroganoff up. You're going to cook/simmer this uncovered over a low heat for about 15-20 minutes. Around now is when your water should be boiling...or almost boiling. I managed to time mine right around the 13 minutes mark of the simmering of the Stroganoff so both were done at exactly the same time. Couldn't do that again if I tried probably.





Mmmmm looking good, right? I was definitely beginning to drool over this right about now. I added a bit of extra flour to thicken it up a bit since I used a whole can of beef broth.

The timing worked out, so I believe I simmered this for about 22 minutes.









When you're noodles are done, drain them and spoon this deliciousness right on top of them.












This should serve about 4-6 people comfortably. I used Rotini noodles, they've been a new favorite of mine.


Well, I hope you enjoy this one! Clean up was fairly simple too. Just the couple of measuring ups, the cutting boards, and the 2 pots/pans. I did most of the cleaning during the 15-20 minutes that the Stroganoff was simmering.









Refrigerate leftovers if there are any!
'Til Next Time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment